Your new role
Join us as an Improvement Advisor where you will support a number of initiatives to improve the commercial and procurement cycle. From improved processes and procedures, to governance and training, you will put in place the tools for the Commercial and Procurement (C&P) directorate to work more effectively and deliver best in class outcomes.
The role will see you actively engage with a large stakeholder group to provide day to day commercial / procurement advice on policies and procedures - you will be expected to navigate public contract regulations, so knowledge of government procurement policy is a must!
You will be skilled at identifying improvement opportunities and providing professional input into developing and publishing new guidance materials, capturing any changes to public sector procurement policy. You will also support the creation and roll out of key commercial training to develop the capability of fellow Highways England colleagues.
We care about your professional development which is why we are committed to investing in your future. In this role you will have the opportunity to become CIPS (Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply) qualified through our bespoke training programme, not only gaining an industry recognised qualification but also studying modules created specifically for Highways England.
If you are passionate about sharing best practice and driving process improvement this is a great opportunity to develop your procurement skills in a growing organisation!
What you’ll be doing
• To maintain the contract pipeline ensuring that this is up to date and sufficiently detailed to meet the requirements of key internal and external stakeholders including liaison with representatives from the supply chain to seek on-going feedback and inform improvements to the format and content of the plan.
• Assist with the interpretation of changes in public sector procurement policy and translate these into processes and standards including the development of guidance notes and training to support effective implementation of the changes.
• To assist in the development of processes and toolkits to drive improvement and efficiencies across the commercial and procurement function, including helping maintain the Contract Control Framework operating model processes.
• Contribute to improvements in commercial and procurement knowledge and practice across Highways England sharing knowledge and skills with others to disseminate best practice.
• To build excellent relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Represent the Improvement Division at internal and external meetings and assist with the preparation of briefings for external agencies and senior level colleagues when required.
To be successful
• You will have experience delivering varying aspects of the procurement cycle, including procurement delivery of contracts or frameworks
• You will have experience developing training to drive continuous improvement
• You will have an understanding of Government Procurement Policy and Public Contract Regulations
• You will have experience of developing partnership working with internal customers and the supply chain driving continuous improvement.
A bit about us
There’s never been a better time to join our Commercial and Procurement team.
We’re a growing, vibrant team helping to drive the most ambitious roads investment programme our country has ever seen. You’ll be involved in ensuring that our customers and road workers get home safe and well every day while travelling or working on our road network.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.