Your new role
Here at Highways England, we currently have an exciting opportunity for a Route Manager to join our team in Leeds. In this role, you will be responsible for providing insight to customer and stakeholder issues on or associated with the routes you are responsible for, drawing on expert advice to ensure the route needs are reflected in the development of the regions strategy and forward programme. You will use intelligence and insight into customer and asset needs, together with social and economic demands to work closely with the Programme Development and Asset Needs teams to develop a forward programme of investment.
What you'll be leading on
* Assessment and understanding the strategic performance of the assigned route(s) performance, for example, identification of 'pinch points', from multiple sources of data, including stakeholder and customer feedback. Evaluating the influence of external drivers such as economic and social changes, regional growth targets and aspirations to understand the impact on future asset and service development requirements.
* Develop and maintain effective and collaborative relationships with regional stakeholder and customer groups, such as local MPs, Local Authorities, Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs), and other regional transport and customer bodies, through regular meetings, communication and sharing of information.
* Work collaboratively with the Programme Development Team making informed decisions about the prioritisation of the designated funds improvement investment in the region. Consult with the engineering teams to assess potential solutions for inclusion within the future programme based on criteria, including benefits to customers, commercial impact and business risks, and ensure the schemes meet the needs of the region in line with agreed strategy, budget and efficiency targets.
* Initiate requests for studies, new schemes and initiatives, ensuring these improvement investment plans are supported by robust business cases. To endorse proposals and check planned solutions are appropriate to meet the needs of the SRN and reflect our Stakeholder ambitions and views.
To be successful
* Excellent stakeholder and communication skills; strong influencing and negotiating skills, with a clear focus on customer satisfaction
* Demonstrable experience in the application of asset management principles and the development of integrated asset management plans
* Experience of developing business cases, including the development of budgets and understanding of appraisal.
* Strong commercial and financial acumen
* Ability to lead own work and execute tasks independently, yet work collaboratively within a team and respond to management guidance & support
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We're proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.